Tuesday, April 28, 2015

E-cubed 747: to side with someone



Today's E-cubed: to side with someone: về phe của ai đó, ủng hộ ai đó...

The boss though Peter’s idea was stupid.
It wasn’t bad. He tried.
Are you siding with Peter?
No. I’m just…
Don’t let the boss hear that.

TRANSCRIPT

Hello, everybody. Welcome back to e-cubed. Yes, it is April 23. Yes, my website is not working. I sincerely apology. Don't worry. Very soon, it will be up. I promise. And the new website hopefully will be up very soon. It will be great. Thank you for your patience. But the videos keep going, and the podcasts keep going.

Today's expression is great. It is "to side with someone". To side with someone basically means to go to somebody's side, to be on their team, to support that person. So, a simple idea would be in sports. Let's say there's a soccer game. And there're the A team and the B team. Whose side are you on? Are you on the side of the A team or the B team? I'm on A team's side. I'm on B team's side. That's it. But this expression "to side with someone", we almost always use it when there's a dissagreement, or a fight, or maybe when one person criticizes the other person. For example:

A: Oh, she is so stupid.
B: Oh, she is OK.
A: Oh hoh, are you on she side.

This is usually how the conversation takes place. So, the person who says you're on somebody side usually is very angry at the other person. Does that make sense? Oh, it will. Check out this dialogue which is so true. I know. If you're married, or you have a girlfriend or boyfriend. This dialogue especially for married people is reality. Check it out.

The boss though Peter’s idea was stupid.
It wasn’t bad. He tried.
Are you siding with Peter?
No. I’m just…
Don’t let the boss hear that.

Oh, yes. Office politics.Within the office, whose side are you on? Are you on Peter's side? Are you on Tom's side? Be careful whose side you are on. It's a competition within the office. If you are on the wrong side, no vacation, no promotion, no new project, no new computer. Oh, yes. I'm serious. Office politics. Be careful. Whose side are you on. And this is not just in the office. It's in the home, too. Oh you bet. Husbands and wives. Whose side are you on? Especially when we talk about mother-in-laws and father-in-laws. Oh, boy. Be careful. Husbands and wives, they always argue. Uh, you know. I don't want to get too personal. But I remember my mom and dad always have little arguements about where to go for Christmas. Should we go to your parents' house? Should we go to your parents' house? Last time, we went here. And last time... But the food was not good. It can be a war. Be careful!

Let me give you some advice as a man who's older. If you're married, I recommend you always be on your spouce's side. If your wife says something, agree. And I mean honestly agree. You pick your wife. You know how she thinks. You know how she is. So you should agree with her. Wives, you pick your husband. You know your husband. You know how he is. If he says something that requires your side. Be on his side. You pick him. You should join him. That's my recommendation. When it comes to office politics, that's why I don't work in an office. I'm not good at politics. If I don't like somebody, if I think something is stupid, I say it. And that's why I'm here. I'll do my best. Whose side are you on? At home, are you usually on your mom's side or your dad's side? Your mom says: let's go on vacation to Disney's land. And your dad says: let's go on vacation to the mountain. Whose side are you on? Are you on mom's side or are you on dad's side? When I was young, I was always on my mom's side. Now I'm older, I'm on my dad's side. I'm sorry, mom. I love you. But to be honest, I'm sorry. But this is not true. I'm always on my mom's side. Respect your mother. Respect your mother. It's very important. Whose side are you on? Leave a message. Have a great one. Listen to the dialogue three more times, and I'll see you guys tomorrow. Bye bye.