Saturday, May 2, 2015

E-cubed 752: SHEER



Today's E-cubed: sheer: chỉ là, đúng là, tuyệt đối, hoàn toàn,...

You look so happy!
You wanna hear sheer beauty?
What are you listening to?
Birdsong. Nature does it best.

TRANSCRIPT

Hello, everybody. Welcome back to E-cubed. Today we have a very good word. I like this word. It is sheer. I know it's tough. The 'r' pronunciation. Sheer. Sheer delight. Meeting John was a sheer delight. A complete delight. And absolute delight. A total delight. Your food is sheer excellence. The food you make is absolutely perfect. It is totally excellent.

Sheer, complete, total, absolute. So use it to describe how much perfect or wonderful or exciting that something was or is. Coach Shane's English classes are sheer fun. Every English lesson is fun. It's exciting. You learn something new. You laugh. Sometimes you cry. I hope so. My classes are sheer fun. Not just sheer fun, sheer educational. But if we say sheer educational, does that sound interesting? Sheer educational. Sheer S-H-E-E-R. This is a word that is used to describe something as complete or total or absolute. Sheer stupidity, completely stupid, absolutely stupid, totally stupid. Sheer boring. If I talk my classes like this, it would be sheer boring. It would be completely boring, absolutely boring, 100% boring. That's why I don't teach my classes like that. I try to use excitement. But if I used sheer excitement in my classes, it would be too much. Sheer excitement, 100% excitement, totally excitement... It's too much. Right? Sheer, it's a great word. Let's check out the dialogue.

You look so happy!
You wanna hear sheer beauty?
What are you listening to?
Birdsong. Nature does it best.

Birdsong. I don't know what it is. But next to my apartment, there are some really strange birds. And late at night, like at 1 o'clock in the morning, they start singing but their song is really pretty. So it wakes me up. It makes me mad. But then the songs are just amazing. What are they singing about? It's so pretty. It's sheer beauty. Absolutely beautiful.

Sheer is a great adjective. And you can use it to describe something that is a beauty. It's sheer beauty. It is sheer excellence, sheer exciting. We can use it in so many different ways. I want you guys to go to the internet and type "sheer", and go to the news like Google News and search for "sheer", and see what other types of usages you can see, you can find. It's a  great word and I want you at least today, at least make one example sentence. My mother's cooking is sheer garbage. No. My mother's cooking is sheer excellence. My coffee is sheer horror. Now my coffee is better. My mom's cooking is great. I try to think my mom's cooking is really good. But how is my cooking? My cooking? I don't think we can say sheer. My mom's cooking is always good. My cooking sometimes is good. My coffee is bad. If you ever see me and if I ever offer you a coffee, you have to absolutely say no. If I offer you anything, say no. English lessons, say yes. Because my English lessons are sheer excellence. They're perfect. I hope. Use this word. Find an example. Leave it down below. Tweet it. Facebook it. Do something. I want to hear your example of sheer. It's a great adjective. Check out the dialogue three more times. Please find somebody to practice with, and I'll see you again tomorrow. Take care, everybody.