Wednesday, May 6, 2015

E-cubed 754: You're too GOOD for your own good!



Today's E-cubed: You're too good for your own good: Bạn quá tốt đến nỗi gây bất lợi cho chính bạn.

You look ill.
I'm okay. I just need to finish my son's homework, then make dinner for my hubby, then I'll get some rest.
You're too good for your own good!
Oh~ I'm just a regular mom!

TRANSCRIPT

Hello, everybody. Welcome back to E-cubed. Today's video is brought to you by you. All of you, especially to my patreons and my other sponsors, thank you so very much. Today's video is really great. Now, the last video we studied for your own good. Do something for your own good, for your own benefit. For example, you are studying English for your benefit, for your own good. Perhaps you quit smoking for your own good. Maybe you are eating more vegetables and fruits for your own good, for your benefit.

I said this expression could be used in a negative situation, and that's what we are going to learn today. Today's expression is you're too good for your own good. You're too good for your own good. You're too rich for your own good. You're too healthy for your own good. What does it mean? You're too rich for your own good. You have too much money for your own good. Yeah, some people. That happens. Did you ever hear about the peson who won the lotery. They won millions of dollar. They won a huge amount of money. And, they bought a car. They bought a house. And five years later, they have nothing. They're divorced. Their life is terrible. They were too rich for their own good. There were too much money. And, it was not for their good. It wasn't for their benefit. It destroyed them. It wasn't good for them. That's too much money for your own good.

So the key is "TOO". When you see "too", it means too much. It means it's a negative amount. So very is good. A lot is good. But too is negative. It's very hot. OKay. It's supper hot. That sounds okay. It's too hot. It's not good. It's not good. It's too hot for my own good. So for example, let's say I like the cold weather. You know me I like the cold weather, the cloudy skies. Today, the temperature will be -40 and thick cloud which is probably almost impossible. But anyways, that's too cold for my own good. No, that's too cold. It's not good for me. There is no benefit. Minus 40? I can't do anything. -40 is, it's too cold for my own good. There is no benefit to me. Too rich for your own good. You get too much money destroying you. What about too healthy too your own good? Does that make sense? Yes. And I will explain after we have another example in our dialogue. Check it out.

You look ill.
I'm okay. I just need to finish my son's homework, then make dinner for my hubby, then I'll get some rest.
You're too good for your own good!
Oh~ I'm just a regular mom!

Yeah. There are so many mothers out there like this. They do everything, they really are supper moms. They do their children's homework. They make dinner for everybody. They clean the house. And then some of these mothers work. I mean they go out for a job. So they're not only working at home, working for their children, working for their husbans. They're working for somebody else. Oh my goodness. Yeah. And they don't complain. Some mothers, many mothers, I don't think they complain. It's.. They love their family. They want to do it. They want to help their children and help their husbands. They're too good for their own good. They're too good. It's not good for their own good. It's actually hurting them because they're gonna get sick.
 And you know, they're gonna get stressed out. It's not good.

Being too good for your own good. It's not good. Saying yes to everybody. Yes. Yes, I'll do. Okay, okay, okay. Eventually, you're gonna go crazy. You're gonna be other problems. Being too good, it's not good. Are you too good for your own good? Yeah, it's not a good thing. We have to lean how to say no. We have to learn how to trust other people to do what is right. Not easy. Especially if you're a profession. See. This is my problem with my podcast let's master English. People ask me where is it? Where is it? Uh, boys. I want my podcasts to be perfect and to be regular. And I don't feel that I'm ready for that. Yes. I, to go back into it. Because once I start something, I don't want to stop it. So I'm too perfect for my own good? Yeah. Perfection is good. But too much is not good.

So what about too healthy for your own good? Healthy is great. Eating good foods. Getting good exercise you know. Getting good sleep. Healthy is good. How can you be too healthy for your own good? Well believe it or not, I have a friend who is health-freak. Everything he does is about health. Uh, he's a vegan. He gets, absolutely he gets 8 hours of sleep a night. Absolutely. He perfectly go to bed at 10pm every night, wakes up at 6am as it's the same every time. And he wakes up. He exercises. Come back. Everything is specificly designed for his health. And because of that, he is inflexible. He's not flexible. If we go to a luch, we have to go to a vegan restaurant. I hate not having meat. But I go because he's a friend. If it's hot in Summer time, want an ice scream? No. No ice scream. It's bad for you. Only he'll take what he does. And he takes oranges, and juices them, and then freezes the orange juice. And that is ice-scream. It's delicious. Yes. I love it, too. But, outside you know, when you're driving to the store. Come on. He's a health freak. He's too healthy for his own good. So physically, it's really good for him. But his relationships and think about it. Is it easy for him to go to a restaurant? No. And he always goes on business trips. So everytime he goes on a business trip, he spends 5 hours online looking for non-smoking hotels, looking for vegan restaurants. And it's very stressful for him. His focuses, concentration on health is actually not really helping him. Whatever. You know. He wants to do. It's alright. Go ahead. You do that. That's the idea. Too healthy. He's too healthy for his own good. It's not that healthy unfortunately. You know he's about the same age with me. I'll bet he die before me. That's a horrible thing. I know it's terrible. I hope not. But, you know.. Good luck. Good luck to you. Anyways that's the idea.

So for your own good. Too rich for your own good, that's negative. Too good for your own good, it's negative. Too healthy for your own good, it's negative. Can you come up with an example, maybe about yourself, or about your mom, or somebody you know. Leave your example down below. And let me say thank you right after you listen to the dialogue three more times. Please practice with somebody.

I need to say thank you to two groups of people, actually many groups. Everybody who watches, thank you so much. You're why I'm here. If you recommend my videos to your friends, thanks a million. That means so much to me. I'm here to be your friendly English coach to hopefully make English fun for you. It's my goal. Some of you are able to support me on patreon and directly. You're investing on your education. And that investment come to me and that makes me your full-time teacher. And I certainly appriciate that beyond words. So first of all to the people who directly support me, they go to paypal and they send a payment to parmyproductions@gmail.com also other places. But I want to say thank you very much to... Now, these people once again support me directly on paypal. And you could send a dollar. That's fine. One dollar. That's not too much. And it pays my electricity. It pays for my lights, my camera, my computer, my internet, everything. It's my job. And that dollars go directly to that fund. We have a brand new website. We invest a lot in that website. And we'll continue to invest more. Thanks to all of you guys. I sincerely appreciate that very very much. Now, we also have our patreon people. And there's a ton of patreons. The idea of patreon one again it's more of a community. You can see each other. You can leave messages. But I prefer you leave messages on facebook and twitter and Google Plus. But anyways patreon is very convinient, too. We have a ton. So at the end of this video I have a list of all of my patreons, and once again thank you so much. All it takes is one dollar a month. That's all. That's three and a half cents a day. Three and a half cents a day for you know a video. Three and a half cents for a video. That's really good. Three and a half cents for a video every day. I appriciate them. You're investing in your English. You're trusting me to be your English teacher. And that's a big honour. And I take it very seriously. I have big goals. I want to do more things, and have more areas of English covered, something maybe perfect for you. Together, we'll get there. Thank you so much for your support. And I promise I'll do my best for all of you whether you can support me or not. Once again, by watching the videos, that's the most important thing. Thank you. Have a great one. And I'll see you guys tomorrow. Bye bye.