Thursday, July 17, 2014

ECUBED #45: to come in on ~

Good morning, everybody. Chào buổi sáng! Bài học Ecubed hôm nay sẽ giới thiệu tới các bạn cách sử dụng cụm từ "to come in on ~". Chúc các bạn buổi sáng tốt lành! 



TRANSCRIPT
Hey everybody. Welcome back to Ecubed. In one of last week’s dialogues. We had the expression “come in on the weekend”. And, somebody asked is it the same as turn in? No. Tomorrow, I will teach you “turn in”. But come in, let’s focus on “come in on”. So, the verb (come in), it’s a phrasal verb, to come in. And when we say on, it refers to a specific day. Okay? So it has to be a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or weekday, or weekend.
Come in on a weekday.
Come in on a weekend.
Come in on a Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun.
So I’ll show you something cool. Yeah! Chinese characters. Chinese characters. Sorry.
To come in on a specific day. Come in on December, no. Come in on 3 o’clock, no. Come in on the fourth. It’s possible. We can use numbers. Come in on the 4th, Come in on the 10th, so we can use numbers, too. Okay? Remember that.
So, when you’re setting an appointment. You need to see a doctor. You need to go some place. They will say, can you come in on a Monday? Can you come in on Tuesday? And then you can set your appointment. Okay? Listen to the dialogue.
A: Can you come in on a weekend?
B: No. I can only go in on weekdays.
A: Can you come in on Friday?
B: No, I’m Muslim. That’s my weekend. Sunday?
No. I’m not Muslim. But I do have a lot of Muslim friends. A lot of you are Muslim. And I think Jewish people are the same. And maybe even some Christian, I know STA.. I’m not exactly sure. But the weekend is actually different for them. I believe for some is Thusday, Friday, for some is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is a working day. So, I live in South Korea which is not a Muslim country, and the weekend is Saturday and Sunday. So it can be confusing. Anyway, come in, come in, come to the office, come to visit, come for an appointment on a day... Remember that. I’ll see you tomorrow.
CHÚ Ý BÀI HỌC
“to come in on” được dùng khi người khác đặt lịch hẹn và hỏi bạn có thể gặp mặt vào ngày nào. Sau giới từ ‘on’ có thể là ngày trong tuần, ngày cuối tuần, hoặc một ngày nào đó cụ thể.